Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi. New here. Vespa Project - Please help.
Big Grin 
Super happy to find a scooter forum for us SA'fricans.
I hope it can grow into a thriving community.

I came across it when hunting to find a helping hand/solution
to getting my old GT200 Vespa back on the road. I can barely 
tell a ratchet from a hatchet. I'll try keep this super brief and 
hopefully get to know you characters through our interactions.
So please don't think me rude.

Its was standing on a friends veranda - about 1.5yrs.
Because some dooshnozzles stole the waterpump & flywheel housing.
at least the bike wasn't taken (Cape Town, Right!)... 
anyways finally live in a place with a garage.

Shes looks in a kuk state, but I managed to get her started... 
Even with old fuel, and she went well.

I'll put up pics, but don't judge me please. When I have cash again
I'll make her look like black beauty, but right now, I need a faithful 
donkey to for the job hunt. (ie can't afford Vespa SA's new spares prices)
Its such an unusual part to replace - need to try and find a scrapped/stripped Vespa
and get the whole unit. Hopefully this new scooter network has the answer [Image: biggrin.png]

That's the major hurdle. 
I best price I found was new on ebay from a Greek parts dealer. Which was R2000 landed.
I was hoping to get a 2nd hand one for about R500. Any suggestions (fingers crossed)

Other than that I need to figure out what these things do. (See pic - area left of the water bottle)

Then clean her up as best I can - 
re deRusting and deCorrosion. Chain on these scoots?
Any inexpensive suggestions.

Thanks guys. 
All the best Mat

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hey there, most automatic scooters dont use a chain, they have a cvt belt (continuously variable transmission) basically, the belt moves up and down the cone, depending on your speed. Your best bet would to either find a bike which has been written off but with the parts you required undamaged, or ar a scrap yard. You dont often find vespas scrapped though, they last forever. Ive gotten a few replacement panels for my rct170 for free from my dealership from a bike that was written off and they "parted" it out, although parts are mich easier to find for big boys in South Africa. You could also try make friends with fellow vepa owners, you never know if they might have what you're looking for floating around somewhere. 

Best of luck! If you need any technical assistance please dont hesitate to post, but please post photos too so some of the maintenance boffins here can see what your problems is.
Matthew Olivier (aka Mat1998)
Welcome to the Forum, MatSher. Have you managed to locate a manual yet, for your GT200? If memory serves me, one of the sites that may have a manual for your machine is https://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp. Good luck with the repairs.
thanks guys. will check it out
Hi, those parts which have been standing open to the weather look like they will need cleaning by a mechanic who knows his way around a Vespa. I would suggest phoning a Vespa dealer and asking them to take a look. I know expensive; but that might be your best bet at getting it running again.
(01-16-2019, 01:26 PM)mighty mouse Wrote: Hi, those parts which have been standing open to the weather look like they will need cleaning by a mechanic who knows his way around a Vespa. I would suggest phoning a Vespa dealer and asking them to take a look. I know expensive; but that might be your best bet at getting it running again.

Thanks MMouse,
I did call the vespa centre in woodstock - sent them the pics and they are gonna quote.
the very min costs will be R3300 for a new water system and housing w/labour.

That's without any other parts/bolts or cleaning or new battery or service or replacement liquids +++ etc.
The vespa service guy - dave - said what they do is literally remove the entire flywheel housing and water
system and bin it and take a brand new one and just bolt it on. so that whole aluminium 
housing with everything in it gets chucked - What a waste.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Suzuki Burgman 400 - Skuterki
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - Strompie
There is a cape town fb vespa forum. Try them
[Image: cool.png]*************[Image: cool.png]
Burning up the Tarmac
(01-27-2019, 09:42 PM)xsel777 Wrote: There is a cape town fb vespa forum. Try them

thanks for the suggestion.