Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centrifugal service question Honda XR150L
Hi all

Just a quick question for the motorcycle mechanics.
Honda service manual says I must clean it on 12500km service. When I went to Honda to buy the gasket for the engine cover, they said I am wasting time. They do it on the next major service which is 25000km. it won't have enough dirt in it to make it worth it.
My oil changes I do at 2500km and I have a very strong magnet on the oil drain nut.
I even phoned a motorcycle mechanic that works from home and I saw many times some high end bikes there. So I don't think he is just a micky mouse mechanic.
He also said it is a waste to do it so early can do it on the next major service.
Any advice here?
Id strongly recommend following what the manual says, yes they know what they're doing and yes it will probably be fine leaving it until 25000, but if you don't follow the service intervals they specify in the book, they can blame it on you if your belt ends up snapping and damaging the centrifugal clutch. If it was me I'd open it carefully and try my best not to damage the old gasket so that it can potentially be re-used but thats just me .
Matthew Olivier (aka Mat1998)
Quote:they can blame it on you if your belt ends up snapping and damaging the centrifugal clutch

Belt? There is no belt inside this specific engine. Closest thing to it is the clutch basket. I also don't really care if they blame me for anything as all my cars and the bike in this case never see the agents. I service and work on my vehicles myself. The bike is also more than 1 year already out of warranty.
Obviously Matt misread, it is not a scooter. But the gist of his post seems relevant. Rather safe than sorry, right?
[Image: cool.png]*************[Image: cool.png]
Burning up the Tarmac
(11-06-2018, 07:21 PM)xsel777 Wrote: Obviously Matt misread, it is not a scooter. But the gist of his post seems relevant. Rather safe than sorry, right?

Oh sorry, 
I thought it was a scooter you were talking about, but it's still better to be safe than sorry, and follow the manual. I saw the title "centrifugal" and assumed you were referring to the clutch assembly on a scooter, which also has a gasket between the cover and the actual clutch assembly
(11-06-2018, 10:55 PM)Mat1998 Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 07:21 PM)xsel777 Wrote: Obviously Matt misread, it is not a scooter. But the gist of his post seems relevant. Rather safe than sorry, right?

Oh sorry, 
I thought it was a scooter you were talking about, but it's still better to be safe than sorry, and follow the manual. I saw the title "centrifugal" and assumed you were referring to the clutch assembly on a scooter, which also has a gasket between the cover and the actual clutch assembly
No problem at all. We are just human. Think I will open December when on leave and check myself instead of wondering the next 12500km what is going on inside. Thanks guys.
(11-07-2018, 09:01 AM)1200GXman Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 10:55 PM)Mat1998 Wrote:

Oh sorry, 
No problem at all. We are just human. Think I will open December when on leave and check myself instead of wondering the next 12500km what is going on inside. Thanks guys.
You could try using flat bit screw driver to try prying the old gasket off, sometimes they can be reused, sometimes they cant, but good luck and if you run into any problems just post another post and someone will reply. Smile