Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air-cooled Vs liquid cooled engines
So every Wednesday I ride my rct170 to swartkops air force base, I help out with the friends of the airforce museum and help clean some of the old aircraft and sometimes fix them up a little, when I noticed a vespa parked next to me. And not just any vespa but one of these fancy liquid cooled super 300s, and it got me thinking. Is liquid cooling really necessary on a scooter, obviously it gives you an advantage when it comes to having tighter tolerances and a lower maximum temperature, but doesnt the increased complication associated with liquid cooling make them harder and more complicated to maintain? And is it absolutely necessary to have liquid cooling when riding longer distances or is air cooled fine providing that you're constantly moving to maintain the flow of air over the cooling fins on the engine?
Matthew Olivier (aka Mat1998)
Generally speaking, I would suppose that there is a slightly more involved maintenance plan for water cooled, but nothing much really apart from changing out the coolant and antifreeze every year or so.
But when things go wrong then it is a different matter.
I have been on both sides of this.
I had a Kymco Grand Dink 250 water cooled, that had no issues apart from not riding like a crotch rocket,lol.
Then I got the Kymco Xciting 500 water cooled, which was beyond exciting with engine and cooling issues,ongoing.

Nothwithstanding, the above-mentioned, for me personally, since I want to get there quickly, I will always choose water cooled,as my situation is the exception.
Water cooled can take more abuse when talking about heat issues, due to the heat being sent off to the radiator.
So, thumbs up for water cooled.
[Image: cool.png]*************[Image: cool.png]
Burning up the Tarmac
Maybe you have noticed, maybe not. But since this afternoon, it is now possible to view the title name of the last post in the main forum.

Yay

http://www.sus.co.ua
hisrump